Between the rain and the sun, we didn’t know where to cook today! But we ended up having a great time and here are some recipes we are sharing we you.
From the garden we have used: tomatoes, lettuce, thyme and parsley!
Menu of the day
Baked cauliflower burger with roasted peppers served with brunt aubergine Raita
Burnt aubergine raita
- 1 aubergine
- 450g pot natural yogurt
- small pack spring onions , finely sliced
- small bunch fresh mint , leaves roughly chopped
While the barbecue coals are glowing orange, spend 10 mins charring the aubergine all over to blister the skin and make the flesh limp. If not barbecuing, do this over a gas flame or under the grill – it should take about 20 mins. Leave to cool, then cut in half and scoop out the soft flesh. Mix everything together in a bowl and season to taste. (Can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge.)
Grilled cauliflower served with a red pepper sauce
Cost per serving (tesco): £0.70
- 1 cauliflower
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 4 black olives, pitted
- small handful parsley
Slice the cauliflower into two 1-inch steaks – use the middle part as it’s larger, and save the rest for another time. Rub the paprika and ½ tbsp oil over the steaks and season.
Optional: add cheese on top of the cauliflower while it’s hot.
Meanwhile, make the salsa. Chop the pepper, olives, parsley and put into a bowl. Mix with the remaining oil. Season to taste. When the steaks are cooked, spoon over the salsa!
Cost per serving (tesco): £0.16
- 50g butter
- 100g milk or dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g cornflakes
- Put 50g butter, 100g milk or dark chocolate, broken into chunks and 3 tbsp golden syrup in a saucepan or microwavable bowl. Put 100g cornflakes in another large bowl.
- Melt the butter, chocolate and golden syrup in the saucepan over a low heat or briefly in the microwave. Allow to cool a little before pouring over the cornflakes.
- Stir the ingredients together gently using a wooden spoon. Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases arranged on a muffin tray. Put in the fridge to set.
All recipes can be plant-based!