#Download recipe below
It is great to see how people are playing with flavours, adding or substituting ingredients. Creative cooking it the best to:
- Discover new dishes
- Get to know what you like
- Use all the leftovers and turn them into something yummy and different!
On the menu this week
Shakshuka and short bread
Shakshuka (x2) – Coast per serving £1.25 (Lidl)
Left: Fiona added peas and vegan sausages for a plant-based meal
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- olive oil
- 1 pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tins plum tomatoes
- sugar a pinch
- 4 eggs
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat a large frying pan with a lid.
- Cook the onion and garlic in 4 tbsp olive oil until soft, then stir in the peppers, spices, tomatoes and sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Make 4 dips in the mixture with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each.
- Put the lid on and cook gently until the whites are set and the yolks cooked how you like them.
- Scatter with parsley and serve with bread or toast.
Shortbread (x10) Cost for 10 shortbreads £1 (Lidl)
- 125g butter
- 55g caster sugar, plus extra to finish
- 180g plain flour
Right: Add some chia seeds as well if you fancy!
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together until smooth.
- Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until the paste is 1cm/½in thick
- Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Well done to everyone!
Credit photo: Marta, Urzsula, Fiona and Fiona!