#Download recipe below
Warm and comforting food, that is what we need! We miss seeing each other so it is nice to catch up via email or during our weekly zoom call!
This week’s menu was simple, plant based and yummy.
Quick dhal served with Garlic bread
Quick Dhal with Garlic bread
Ingredients x2 cost per serving 0.95
- 300g red lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger root
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Option: add other spices such as chili, nutmeg, cinnamon … It’s up to you!
- Fresh coriander
- Fancy throwing more veg in it? Add spinach, chickpea, tomatoes or peppers!
For the garlic bread
- A bit of soft/melted butter
- Garlic powder
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add the onions, garlic, ginger, paprika and cumin (or other spices you are using). Cook for a good 5 minutes, until the onion has absorbed the colour of the spices.
- Add the lentils in the pan and pour some boiling water to cover then. The water is going to reduce quickly so keep stirring and adding boiling water until obtaining the texture of your liking. Cook for 15-20min. Add salt and pepper.
- You can also add some spinach, chickpea etc…
- Taste and add spices if needed!
- Serve with rice, bulgur, couscous, garlic bread. Talking about garlic bread! Nothing easier.
- In a small bowl, place some butter and put it in the microwave for a few seconds only.
- When the butter is soften, add some garlic powder (to your liking) and spread on your bread (toasted or fresh)
Vegan Chocolate Cake
Ingredients – Total cost £0.90 Lidl
- 150g plain flour
- 150g (dairy-free) milk
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- Oven 200C
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Pour in the milk and mix.
- Break the chocolate in a saucepan and melt it on low heat with a bit of milk or water so it doesn’t stick.
- Once it is melted, add it to your mixture.
- Butter or oil slightly you cake mould if needed and pour your chocolaty mixture!
- Bake for 25-30 min.
- To verify if it is cooked, put a knife in the middle, if the blade comes back clean, it is ready !
Thank you to Duncan, Fiona G, Fiona M, Ian, Marta, Urzsula for sharing creations !
One thought on “Can you smell the Dahl and chocolate cake from Everyone’s kitchen Chefs? #4”