It is the first week of having 2 cooking groups and we had a great day for that!
On the menu
Vegetable pasta bake
Chocolate pear cake
Harvest of the day
- Side salad: Chives, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes
- Edible flower: Cornflower, Alyssum for decorating the cake
- Pasta bake: Pepper, Parsley, organo, thyme
- 14 0z (400g) dried pasta shapes I used rigatoni
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion peeled and chopped into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper de-seeded and chopped into large chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper de-seeded and chopped into large chunks
- 1 large or 2 small courgette (zucchini) chopped into chunks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 28 oz (2 x 400g) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (120ml) double (heavy) cream
- 3 packed cups (100g) fresh baby spinach
- 1 packed cup (100g) strong cheddar cheese grated
- 1 packed cup (100g) mozzarella grated
- Small bunch parsley roughly torn
Preheat the oven to 190c/375f. Boil a large pan of water and cook the pasta for 1 minute less than recommended on the pack. Drain.
Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat the oil on a medium heat, in a large frying pan. Add the red onion and cook for a 3-4 minutes until the onion started to soften.
Add the chopped peppers, courgette, salt, pepper, garlic, tomato puree, oregano and thyme. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Stir in the tinned tomatoes and cream, bring to a gentle bubble, then add the pasta and spinach. Stir everything together, then transfer to a large baking dish.
Top with the cheddar and mozzarella, and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown.
Take out of the oven and top with parsley before serving.
Chocolate pear cake
Haaaaa this chocolate cake … Two attempts and it wasn’t quite there. Well, that only means we need to bake more, eat more cakes to find the finest recipe! Easily done 😀
Here is the recipe of a chocolate cake previously made during the cooking workshop!