Today we had something different! Farzana showed us how to make an Indian dish: chefs, volunteers and staff enjoyed it so much ! Thanks again for showing us.
Chickpea and potato curry served with Jeera rice
Baked apple with ice cream
Harvest of the day
For the curry : coriander, chard, bay leaves
Farzana’s chickpea and potato curry
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves, garlic
- Half-thumb size ginger
- 1 green chili
- Olive oil , 3 tbsp
- Ground cumin, 1 tsp
- Ground coriander, 1 tsp
- Ground turmeric, 1 tsp
- Chopped tomatoes, ½ tin
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- Chickpea, drained, 2 tins
- Chop onions and place in a large pan with oil on medium heat. Cook until they have a golden-brown colour.
- Chop your potatoes and boil them separately.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Grind garlic, chili and ginger. Reserve.
- Add all the spices to the onions and stir.
- Add your garlicky paste and stir.
- Add a bit of boiling water so it does not stick.
- Add potatoes to your pan and your chickpeas, plus ½ cup boiling water. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Add fresh coriander before serving.
Farzana’s jeera rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups of boiling water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 3 flat tsp salt
- ½ thumb ginger
- garlic , 3 cloves,
- 1 green chilli
- Prepare your rice to obtain a softer and longer rice: rinse 3 times to remove the starch. And soak for about 40 min with lukewarm water.
- Slice finely 2 onions and cook on medium heat until golden-brown
- Grind ginger, garlic, chili
- Add cloves, bay leaves and your paste and add a bit of boiling water (cloves and bay leaves won’t be eaten so you can remove it before serving).
- Add 3 cups of boiling water when boiling add 3 flat tsp of salt and your drained rice.
- Keep the lid on for 10-15 min (without looking!).
- When water is absorbed, add cumin seed and simmer for 5-10 min.
- 4 large good baking apples, such as Rome Beauty, Golden Delicious, or Jonagold
- Honey, agave
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, pumpkin seed, raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Preheat your oven: 190°C
- Rinse and dry the apples. Using a sharp paring knife or an apple corer, cut out the cores, leaving the bottom 1/2 inch of the apples intact.
- Add half a teaspoon of butter in each hole.
- Drizzle with honey, sugar, agave syrup, … and cinnamon.
- Chop some seeds, sultana, nuts and add to your apples.
- Put the apples in a baking dish. Cook for 30-45 minutes.